The Design Engineer is responsible to create drafts and designs of products, supporting customers and other members of the sales team by providing technical support and resolution of technical issues to maximize design win success.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Business Development – In conjunction with the Sales Group, support customer qualification, product development, and transition of new products into production.
- Relationship Development/Communications – External – Visit customers regularly, either independently or with Sales, for interactive customer engineering discussions.
- Design Recommendations – Understand customer application, define customer technical requirements, identify potential NMB Fan motor technologies and products, and review trade-offs to propose the best possible solution.
- Product Development – Lead the development of custom Fan motor solutions, design Fan motor to component level, coordinate technical activities between customer engineering and NMB engineering. Track customer schedule and set realistic expectations for NMB deliverables. Ensure successful development through final approval and transition into production.
- Sample Evaluation – Manage sample development and evaluation cycle. Ensure that samples meeting customer requirements are delivered on time, collect results from customer evaluation in a timely manner, and feedback to NMB engineering. Coordinate failure analysis investigation of samples and implement design improvements as necessary.
- Product Documentation – Issue product documentation (technical drawings, specifications, data sheets, catalogs) as required.
- Reporting Communications Internal/External – Provide timely and frequent written and verbal reporting on customer interaction and development status for opportunities.
- Travel – Travel required up to 25%; majority will be domestic with some international.
- Monthly Reporting – Prepare and submit a monthly summary activity report to supervisor.
- Other – Perform other duties as related to the job function as required.
Job Qualification Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field required; Electromechanical Engineering preferred.
- Entry level welcome; 1 to 3 years’ experience as a design engineer or field applications engineer a plus.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Power Point) required; 3D modeling (especially SolidWorks) preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication/presentation skills and demonstrated experience communicating technical information.
- Business level Japanese speaker preferred, fluency in reading and writing is a big plus.